The Department for Work and Pensions is responsible for welfare, pensions and child maintenance policy. As the UK’s biggest public service department, we administer the State Pension and a range of working age, disability and ill health benefits to around 18 million people.
We are responsible for:
- understanding and dealing with the causes of poverty rather than its symptoms
- encouraging people to work and making work pay
- encouraging disabled people and those with ill health to work and be independent
- providing a decent income for people of pension age and promoting saving for retirement
- providing value for money and reducing levels of fraud and error
- reducing work-related death and serious injury in workplaces
We provide our services in a number of ways, including through Jobcentre Plus, the Child Maintenance Service, the Health and Safety Executive, and partner organisations.